Summer is quickly coming to an end. For those of you looking to get outside and enjoy the last bit of summer we are sharing our favorite Homemade Washable Sidewalk Chalk Paint Recipe today!
One of our all time favorite sidewalk chalk paint recipes is this scented sidewalk chalk. This DIY Washable Sidewalk Paint is a very close second runner up.
After making our scented sidewalk paint, we wanted to come up with a bit thicker of a sidewalk paint recipe that would puff up when dried. While this doesn’t puff up like our Homemade Puffy Paint Recipe does, for a sidewalk paint it puffs up pretty well.
DIY Washable Sidewalk Chalk Paint
- Baking Soda
- Food Dye (I would suggest avoiding gel food dyes for this)
1. In a large bowl, combine equal parts of cornstarch and baking soda. Stir to combine.
2. Add a few tablespoons of warm water at a time until the mixture is the consistency of poster paints. You can go as thin or as thick as you would like. The thicker the paint is the puffier it will be. If using squeeze bottles be careful not to make your sidewalk paint too thick.
3. Divide the mixture into squeeze bottles.
4. Add food dye to each bottle, put the cap on and shake the color into the paint. If you would like to use a natural dye we highly suggest these dyes.
4. Take the squeeze bottles outside and invite your little ones to make a mess!
This is such a fun outdoor activity and it’s so easy to clean, just wash it down with a hose. If you’re worried about the dye staining, do a small test area first.
You can make this even more fun by adding vinegar to a squeeze bottle and letting your little ones fizz up the paintings. Kids love to watch the chemical reaction between vinegar and baking soda.
These paints need to be used right away. The baking soda will eventually settle and you’ll no longer be able to squeeze the paint through the bottle so make sure you are only making the amount you will need.
Not making these homemade washable sidewalk paints right this second? Then pin this post so you can easily find it later!