Get in the holiday spirit with this fun Gingerbread Playdough No Cook Recipe! This homemade playdough smells absolutely lovely and is as soft as can be!
Playdough is one of my favorite activities to do with the kids. It’s low mess, has endless possibilities, and playdough is jammed packed with developmental benefits.
Recipe for Gingerbread Playdough
We use affiliate links on site to help you easily find the items we recommend.
Supplies Needed to Make Gingerbread Playdough:
- 2 c. Hot Water
- 1-1 1/2 c. Flour
- 2-3 T. Gingerbread Spice (we used this brand)
- Brown Glitter (we love this kit)
- Brown Gel Food Dye (this kit lasts us a super long time!)
- 2/3 c. Salt
- 2-3 tsp. Cream of Tartar
- 1/3 c. Unscented Lotion
- 1 T. Cooking Oil
Directions for Gingerbread Playdough:
1. Bring water to a boil in the microwave. You can also use hot tap water if it gets hot enough.
2. In a bowl mix together the lotion, glitter, food dye, gingerbread spice, and cooking oil. I prefer to use coconut oil or canola oil for our playdough recipes.
3. In a separate bowl mix together the rest of your dry ingredients – cream of tartar, salt, and flour. You can make this gingerbread playdough with no cream of tartar. The cream of tartar is what is used to help preserve the playdough. If you choose to skip it increase the salt volume to at least a cup.
4. Add the hot water to the first bowl and give it a good stir. The lotion and glitter may look clumpy, this is ok.
5. Then add in your dry ingredients and stir. If you notice that your gingerbread playdough is too sticky stir in an additional 1/2 cup of flour at a time until it is no longer sticking.
6. Then simply pull the gingerbread playdough out of the bowl, knead it a bit, and play!
Easy peasy fun!
Not making this No Cook Gingerbread Playdough Recipe right this second? Then pin this post so you can easily find it later!