We love to make our own beauty products at home as a way to save some money and control what is in the products that we use.
As someone who lives with chronic migraines, I have quickly fallen in love with this homemade rosemary mint shampoo recipe. This DIY shampoo is excellent for combating dandruff and helping provide headache relief.
Homemade essential oil recipes are a big part of our life and not something that I share very frequently with y’all. While I love using essential oils for my own self-care needs, we also use them as a way to control the products and sensory experiences that my sensory sensitive children are exposed to.
We originally played around with this recipe when my preteen started experiencing oily skin, acne, and dandruff. You know, all that fun stuff that comes with transitioning into a preteen.
Discovering that this recipe helped provide some relief to my migraines was an added bonus. Whether or not this peppermint dandruff shampoo recipe will work for providing migraine relief for you is not something I can say with certainty as the causes behind migraines are vast. I can say that if you live with chronic migraines like I do, it is worth the try.
Homemade Rosemary Peppermint Shampoo
How Do You Make Homemade Shampoo?
When it comes to making homemade shampoo there are multiple different methods depending on if you like your shampoo thicker or thinner. I personally prefer this peppermint shampoo recipe as it lathers nicely and it lands somewhere in the middle consistency wise.
If you prefer thicker shampoo, you can add cornstarch into this recipe. To do this add it to the cold water and whisk, then combine with all the other ingredients. I will say that if you do this, the shampoo will not lather as well.
Note: If using any new to you essential oils, do a patch test 24 hours prior to use to check for sensitivities.
Rosemary Mint Shampoo Recipe
- 1/2 cup liquid peppermint castile soap (we used this one)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup liquid glycerin
- 1/4 cup distilled water
- 1 tablespoon shea butter (melted)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (melted)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon jojoba oil (we used this one)
- 5-10 drops peppermint essential oil
- 5-10 drops chamomile essential oil
- 5-10 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 5-10 drops rosemary essential oil
- 5-10 drops of bergamot essential oil
- Squeeze bottle container (we used these)
Note: For essential oils I prefer to use Plant Therapy brands.
1. Add castile soap, coconut milk, glycerin and distilled water to a medium size bowl. Whisk together.
2. Add shea butter, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar and jojoba oil. Whisk together.
3. Add peppermint, chamomile, eucalyptus, rosemary and neroli essential oils. Whisk together.
4. Add your homemade shampoo to your bottle and enjoy!
Want more DIY Essential Oil Recipes? Head over here to find all the essential oil recipes we have shared on the site!
And if you aren’t making this homemade peppermint shampoo recipe right this second then pin this post so you can easily find it when you need it!