Play Dough is one of those sensory materials that we absolutely adore. It is such a versatile material when it comes to creating and learning. This last week we have been having a blast exploring our ABC’s with these Alphabet Play Dough Mats!
Summer is officially here and next school year Mr. Q is starting Kinder! I designed these ABC Play Dough Mats to work with him over the summer on his fine motor skills and alphabet knowledge. How you can play with these is completely open ended!
Items Needed for Alphabet Play Dough Mats
- Play Dough (for DIY Play Dough options check out our massive resource on everything play dough!)
- Laminator (or plastic sleeve protectors)
- Play Dough Tools
How to Play with The Alphabet Play Dough Mats
These ABC Play Dough Mats contains 26 full-color alphabet mats (find the first three for free below). The play dough mats can be used as worksheets or take-home activities.
Each alphabet mat contains three sections and provides many opportunities to practice letter recognition, phonemic awareness, and strengthen fine motor skills. The mats contain the following sections:
- Alphabet Square – Children can finger trace the large letters or they can place a coil of play dough, wiki sticks, or small objects on top of the letter. Children can also rainbow write the letter.
- Initial Sound Examples– Children can review the objects pictured, say the name of the objects, and practice the sound that is associated with the focus letter.
- Writing Practice– Children can trace the dotted letters and write the letters on the lines.