Learn how to naturally dye homemade playdough using dandelions with this simple tutorial + video.
Inside of this post we will show you how to create a vibrant yellow play dough using simple ingredients that you have around your home.
Spring is finally here and with the sunshine, my kids are bringing me dandelions by the handfuls. There is just something magical to children about dandelions.
Maybe it is how bright and cheery their sunburst yellow is.
Maybe it’s that they are absolutely everywhere.
Or maybe it’s just because they are one of the few flowers most kids can pick without getting fussed at.
Whatever it is, we are tapping into that magic today as a method to naturally dye homemade play dough.
And as an added bonus – this dandelion play dough smells pretty good and has a ton of developmental benefits for your child!
Items Needed for DIY Dandelion Play Dough
- A Big Handful of Dandelions
- 1 cup of boiling water
- 2 cups of flour
- 1/3 cup of salt
- 2 T. baby oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1-2 T. cream of tartar (this is the best deal I have ever seen on cream of tartar)
Optional: A blender to help you blend the water with the dandelions to create a vibrant yellow. (We love this blender)
How to Naturally Dye Play Dough Using Dandelions
- Bring one cup of water to a boil and remove from heat.
- In a blender, mix the hot water and dandelions.
- Once the dandelions are pretty much completely destroyed in the water, transfer the water to a bowl and add in oil, salt, and cream of tartar. Give it a good stir to dissolve the salt.
- Add in 2 cups of flour to the mixture and stir really good until it is fully mixed.
- Then dig your hands in and mix some more. If it is sticky at this point you might need to sprinkle in some more flour and knead until it no longer sticks. The amount of flour that you may need to mix in will vary based on how much water the dandelions were holding.
Then Play! Easy Peasy!
Watch This Video to See How We Make Our DIY Dandelion Playdough
More Homemade Playdough Recipes You Will Love
Easy Homemade Playdough – this is our favorite basic recipe!
The Secret to Vibrant and Soft Playdough
Bubble Bath Play Dough – this stuff really bubbles up!
How to Make Playdough from Peanuts
Candy Play Dough
Printable Alphabet Play Dough Mats
Please Share this Dandelion Playdough Recipe!
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite kids’ activity board on Pinterest.