It has been raining like mad here on and off for the last couple of weeks, which means the mosquitoes are out in full force. This homemade bug balm is one of my favorite essential oil recipes to use after going outdoors.
When it comes to bug bites, I welt up like there is no tomorrow. Nasty welts that leave big bruises and ugly scars. On those days that I head outdoors without any bug repellent I seriously look like I got beat up by a bug. Ok maybe that’s an exaggeration…but I am a big baby when it comes to bug bites.
For us, bug balm is one of those necessary items to always have on hand. It does an amazing job at helping with those minor irritations.
Homemade Bug Repellent
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup safflower oil
- ¼ cup beeswax or soy wax
- 2-3 drops raspberry oil
- 5-10 drops tea tree essential oil
- 5-10 drops clove essential oil
- 5-10 drops rosemary essential oil
- 5-10 drops lavender essential oil
- 5-10 drops lemon essential oil
- Small airtight containers (we use these ones)
Note: For essential oils I love the Plant Therapy Brand.
1. In a medium size microwave safe bowl, add coconut oil. Place in microwave for 30 seconds.
2. Add beeswax or soy wax to bowl and return to microwave for another 30 seconds. Stir and continue to melt at 30 second intervals until mixture is liquid.
3. Add safflower and raspberry oil to bowl.
4. Add essential oils to bowl and mix everything together thoroughly.
5. Add mixture to small containers with an airtight lid. Use on bug bites, small rashes or any minor itches.
For more essential oil recipes make sure to head over and check out our essential oils for the family section of the site!
And if you aren’t making this homemade bug balm at right now make sure to pin this post so you can easily find it once you are ready!