I’ll admit it. I have a stubborn streak. Every now and then I get this idea in my head and it teeters on the brink of obsession.
This recipe for crock pot beef stroganoff was one of those silly things that brought out my stubborn streak. I tried over ten stroganoff recipes in attempts to get this right and the poor hubs was given the gift of being my lab rat. Nine attempts were utter failures. Having the kids taking one bite and nearly spit it at me level of failure. On attempt ten I decided to throw out the cook books and taste test as I went along. Needless to say, this time around my stubborn streak paid off. Next time I cook this the only change I will be making is to make more!
Kitchen Notes for Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff:
There is nothing complicated about this recipe. The steps are in no particular order. I personally cooked the egg noodles outside of the crock pot and just used the crock pot to make the stroganoff sauce. I did this because egg noodles are already a very particular noodle- they clump and get mushy if all you do is look at them wrong.
I have read that you can cook egg noodles in the crock pot. My thoughts on this is that adding (any) noodles to a crock pot recipe will not only mess up the solid to water ratios, it will also mess up the starch levels making whatever liquids are in the crock pot thicker and less functional at cooking the noodles. Then again, I have no experience in this. I would love to hear your thoughts and/or suggestions regarding this.
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 4-6 oz. Fresh Sliced Mushrooms
- 2 lbs. Stewing Beef
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 8 oz. Sour Cream
- 8 oz. Cream Cheese
- 1 Package Onion Brown Gravy Mix
- 1 Beef Bouillon Cube
- Worchestor Sauce and Black Pepper to Taste
- Dice the onion
- Add diced onion, mushrooms, sour cream, cream cheese, cream of mushroom soup, brown gravy onion mix, and bouillon cubes into the crock pot on low heat.
- Stir everything together good.
- Let it cook for 3-4 hours.
- Cook the stewing beef (beef tips) in a skillet on low to medium heat.
- Boil a pan of water and add oil. Once boiling add egg noodles.
Looking for family recipes similar to this one? Then be sure to click through the below links or head over to our Facebook fan page to continue the discussion!