Chocolate Covered Strawberries are seriously a weakness for me. I could live off these. Zombies are a weakness for my daughter. She is obsessed with them. Her obsession is almost scary. These Zombie Chocolate Covered Strawberries are the best of both worlds!
Earlier this week my daughter was sent the book Once Upon a Zombie: The Color of Fear by. Billy Philips for review. This book has gone everywhere with us from the moment it arrived and it seems like every time I catch a glance of her she is completely absorbed by the story.
I haven’t had much more than a chance to personally flip through this book myself. With how much I love fairy tales though I cannot wait.
Suited for kids ages 9-12 Once Upon a Zombie addresses the social issues of becoming a zombie to fear and anxiety using classic fairy tale characters. This book has led to many many conversations about positivity and compassion and how that is what real beauty is.
Livia, my avid reader who can be quite harsh on books is already asking for the next book and if she can share this one with her friends once she is done. That to me is a huge seal of approval!
These Zombie Chocolate Covered Strawberries came to be during a conversation about the book. While trying to decide on the afternoon snack for the day we were discussing the qualities of The Little Mermaid and why she would be pretty even if she was a zombie.
For those of ya’ll that have seen The Little Mermaid do you remember the Ursula’s poor unfortunate souls? I think Livia had some unconscious creation going on because they look a lot like that to me! Either way this was a fantastic kid made snack that we had a blast with!
- Fill a glass to the brim with Wilton's Dark Green Candy Melts.
- Using a Microwave, heat on high for 1 minute. Stir until smooth. If chocolate remains clumpy repeat step in 30 second intervals.
- Dip strawberries into the chocolate melt until fully covered and set on the wax paper.
- While still wet add the candy eyes.
- Allow strawberries to sit until chocolate coating firms.
- Once firm draw on the zombies mouth using a fine paintbrush and black food dye.
- Once completed serve and enjoy!