Hard boiled eggs are one of my kids favorite snacks. While on a mission this week to make healthy foods fun we decided to make Monster Hard Boiled Eggs. These were a fun success at deterring my kids from candy!
Earlier this week I came across a method to make Chinese Tea Eggs and it got me thinking that I could do something similar with the kids.
I am in love with how pretty they turned out! Although I am slightly surprised at how blue they look as we used black food dye.
And the kids reaction to seeing these marbled eggs? Priceless. Livia asked if they were safe to eat…she thought they were moldy. While Meatball grabbed two handfuls, took a HUGE bite, and roared! Her spent the rest of the evening pretending he was an Oviraptor, a dinosaur that ate eggs.
This was such a fun afternoon snack! I cannot wait to make Monster Hard Boiled Eggs again!
Items Needed for Monster Hard Boiled Eggs:
- Eggs – we used 6
- Food Dye (buy black here)
- Ziplock Bag
- Boil your eggs in a pot of water. We made 6.
- Once eggs are completely cooked remove from heat and run under cold water.
- Gently crack the hard boiled eggs with a knife or by rolling them on the counter.
- Place them in an zip lock bag.
- Add food dye of choice to zip lock bag. Roll eggs around to make sure they are fully coated.
- Place in your refrigerator over night.
- The next day rinse eggs in vinegar, peel, and eat!
While it does take a bit for prep, this hard boiled egg recipe is a ton of fun! Hope your family has fun with it!