These printable human body playdough mats are a wonderful learning tool in teaching body systems as well as the different organs our bodies have to work properly!
Human Body Systems for Kids
This science activity is a helpful introduction to learning the various human body systems to preschoolers and kindergartners. It’s okay if they don’t have the organs and systems memorized after a single play. This activity is more about exploration through creativity! Let them continue to play with these mats so the exposure sticks with them.
Later on, as they learn about the human body in science, they will likely recall playing with these mats and making the different organs out of playdough. You can always revisit these as your child gets older and begins talking about the body as they learn about it in school.
How Do You Teach Kids About Body Systems?
Tailor activities about the body systems to your child’s developmental age. You can find this out by asking questions about what they already know about their bodies. Even the littlest learners should know their body parts, and they may also know about the skin, stomach, and other internal organs.
A visual representation of the body systems and organs can be helpful when teaching kids. That’s why our human body playdough mats work great. Your child can actually see the different parts of their body. You can include lots of questions and conversation about each system or organ as they play.
We also recommend using catchy songs like the one below to help children remember the complex words.
Interested in exploring more about the human body with your kids? Check out this fun and informative Human Body Systems Flipbook designed to help them learn about the different systems of the body!
What Are The 12 Main Systems of the Human Body?
As your child is playing with our printable human body mats, you can begin to name the different body systems. It’s also helpful to tell them what the system does and what organs are involved in each system.
Included in the printable play-dough mats are the following nine body systems:
- Circulatory System – This includes our heart, veins, and arteries. It sends blood and nutrients we need throughout our bodies.
- Respiratory System – This includes our nose, trachea, larynx, pharynx, and lungs. It helps us take in oxygen from the air and release carbon dioxide from our bodies.
- Digestive System – This system involves our mouth, teeth, stomach, intestines, and rectum. With this system, our bodies take in food and pull out the nutrients it needs. Then it expels the rest as waste.
- Lymphatic System – This system works with the immune system to fight infections in your body and it keeps the right amount of fluid in the blood. Your spleen is part of this system.
- Nervous System – Our brain, spinal cord, and nerves make up this system. It tells our other systems and organs how to act properly so we stay healthy.
- Muscular System – All of the muscles in our body make up this system. It’s what allows us to run, jump, and eat. Muscles are also what makes our heart pump blood through the body.
- Skeletal System – Our bones, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage make up the skeletal system. It’s what gives our bodies their shape, so our arms and legs don’t just flop around. Tendons connect bones to muscles so we can move them. Ligaments connect bones to each other for flexibility.
- Urinary System – This involves the kidneys and bladder. This system filters nutrients from the fluids in the body and eliminates the waste as urine.
- Reproductive System – The organs that allow adults to have babies make up this system. There are different parts for men and women.
Not included in the human body play dough mats are these three:
- Immune System
- Integumentary System
- Endocrine System
Human Body Playdough Mats
These playdough mats reinforce the concepts of the human body in a number of ways. They give the names of the body systems and several organs to familiarize your children or students with them. They will learn what functions each organ provides and how we can better help our bodies to stay healthy.
By shaping playdough on the different mats, your child becomes familiar with the shapes of the organs and where they exist in our bodies. They will also be fostering their fine motor skills as they mold the dough.
Items Needed to Use These Human Body Play Dough Mats
We use affiliate links on site to help you easily find the items we recommend.
- Human Body Playdough Mats (available in full color & black and white versions)
- Sensory Trays — I love how these have high sides to contain mess!
- Play Dough (find two amazing playdough recipes below)
Anatomy Playdoh Mats Feature:
This playdough mat set includes 6 full-sized human body mats in both full color and black & white. There are 3 skin tones included for each gender, so you can print the ones you prefer. With the full size mat, your child can piece together their entire body!
There are also 9 human body system cards, which include the circulatory, respiratory, digestive, lymphatic, nervous, muscular, skeletal, urinary, and reproductive systems.
Finally, there are 18 organ cards, featuring the following organs:
- Small Intestine
- Large Intestine
Looking for more playdough mats? Find all the play dough mats we have shared on site here.
Please Share These Printable Human Body Play Dough Mats!
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite kids’ activity board on Pinterest.