Colored pasta is one of our favorite craft and learning materials. We often dye it in batches and save it for all kinds of future kid projects and activities. Here’s how to dye pasta!
One of the first kid craft itemsI learned how to make was to dye pasta! It can be used for all kinds of learning activities and crafts, and the actual process of coloring the pasta is always a fun activity in itself for kids!
Dyeing your own pasta is super simple and only requires a couple of ingredients.
Materials Needed for Dyeing Pasta:
(Affiliate links provided. Thanks for your on going support)!
How to Dye Pasta:
1. Start by pouring your pasta into a large plastic baggie.
2. Add some rubbing alcohol and food dye into the baggie. The amount depends on how much pasta you are dyeing, but you really cannot go wrong. For an entire bag of pasta I used about 1/4th cup of alcohol and 5-7 big squirts of food dye. If you are uncomfortable using rubbing alcohol you can use vinegar as a replacement. If you use vinegar start out with small amounts and add as you need more as it can make your pasta soggy. Also you will need to plan for longer dry times.
3. Shake the bag around so all the pasta gets covered with the rubbing alcohol and food coloring. I did this all outside since I had a few bags that leaked a bit. You can add more food coloring if you want your color more viberant or add more rubbing alcohol if the color doesn’t seem to be covering all the pasta. Once pasta is fully covered let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
4. Pull out your drying trays and cover with wax paper or newspaper as needed. We use craft trays from Oriental Trading (one of my absolute favorite kid craft tools that I have!)
Dump the pasta out of the baggie and onto the newspaper. Spread it out as best you can and wait for it to dry.
5. Once the pasta is completely dry you are ready to play! When storing pasta make sure to use a dry, airtight container and it will last you awhile!
Are you following our Pasta Play Board on Pinterest?
How to Dye Pasta for Play
- Food Dye
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Large Plastic Baggies
- Wax Paper or Newspaper
- Drying Trays
Pour Pasta into large plastic bag.
Add some rubbing alcohol and food dye into the baggie. The amount depends on how much pasta you are dyeing, but you really cannot go wrong.
Close bag and shake. Add more food coloring and alcohol if needed.
Let sit for 10-15 minutes.
Pour out on to a tray and spread out to dry.
More DIY Play Ideas your Kids will LOVE!
[catlist name=how-to numberposts=5 excludeposts=this]