Cool down from the heat with this fun science sensory bin! Kids will have a blast exploring the different ways to melt ice as they rescue ocean animals in this frozen ocean sensory bin!
Frozen Animal Rescue Kids Activity
- Plastic Art Tray or Shallow Bin
- Water Beads
- Small Plastic Ocean Animals
- Baking Soda
- Fine Motor Tools
We snagged this packet off of Amazon that included both the water beads, ocean animals, and balloons! Made shopping for this activity super easy!
1. Add a couple of tablespoons of water beads to balloons. Stretch the balloons out a bit.
2. Add small plastic ocean animals.
3. Fill the balloons with water. Place the water balloons in a bowl and then into the freezer. Allow the balloons to freeze overnight.
4. Add water beads to an art tray or shallow bin. Add water and allow the beads to expand. This can take some time.
5. Put baking soda, salt, water and vinegar into small bowls or paper cups.
6. Take the water balloon out of the freezer and cut off the balloon. Place the balloon onto the art tray or into the shallow bin.
Let your child use a spoon to add salt and baking soda onto the frozen ball. Use a medicine dropper to suck up water or vinegar and squirt it onto the frozen ball.
What is melting the ice better or faster?
Try using warm water.
This is a really fun outdoor activity for a HOT day. Let your children sit outside and rescue the different sea animals inside the frozen balls.
Not playing with this frozen ocean sensory bin right this second? Then pin this post so you can easily find it later!