Do your kids love play dough? Mine sure do! We have a lot of fun making different shapes and letters with it. Today, I’m excited to share these alphabet playdough mats with you! These are perfect for preschoolers and kindergartners who are just learning their ABCs.
Play Dough is one of those sensory materials that we absolutely adore. It is such a versatile material when it comes to creating and learning. These ABC Play Dough Mats were designed to be a low prep alphabet activity that works on fine motor skills and alphabet knowledge. How you can play with these is completely open ended!
Items Needed for Alphabet Play Dough Mats
We use affiliate links on site to help you easily find the items we recommend.
- Printable Alphabet Playdoh Mats PDF File
- Heavy Cardstock
- Laminator or Write and Wipe Sheet Protector
- Play Doh
- Play Dough Tools
- Crayons or Marker
Need to make playdough to use with these playdough alphabet mats? Find two amazing playdough recipes below!
Easy Playdough Recipe
Our most trusted and favorite classic play dough recipe!
How to Make Playdough Without Flour
Learn this simple trick for making play dough at home without flour!
What’s Included in the Playdough Letter Mats?
These ABC Play Dough Mats contains 26 full-color alphabet mats (find the first three for free at the bottom of the post). The play dough mats can be used as worksheets or take-home activities.
Each alphabet mat contains three sections and provides many opportunities to practice letter recognition, phonemic awareness, and strengthen fine motor skills. The mats contain the following sections:
- Alphabet Square – Children can finger trace the large uppercase and lowercase letters or they can place a coil of play dough, wiki sticks, or small objects on top of the letter. Children can also rainbow write the letter.
- Initial Sound Examples– Children can review the objects pictured, say the name of the objects, and practice the sound that is associated with the focus letter. Beginning sound activities such as these letter playdough mats are a great way to work on phonics. Children can also use things such as stickers, mini erasers, or pom poms instead of playdough to cover the beginning sound pictures.
- Writing Practice– Children can practice tracing letters and write letters of the alphabet on the writing strip.
- Left and Right: This alphabet printable also begins to expose children to left and right to help reinforce writing direction.
How to Play With the Alphabet Play Dough Mats
These playdough mat alphabet printables are perfect to use with your toddler, preschooler, pre-k aged child, and kindergarteners. You can easily adapt play and exploration to where your child is at developmentally.
For younger children this may be something such as rolling a playdough snake while making the letter sounds or identifying and naming the beginning sound pictures. For kids who are getting ready to enter elementary school these mats can be used to identify the differences between upper and lower case letters.
Free Alphabet Playdough Mats PDF
Grab a freebie sample of this alphabet playdough resource here.
Printable Alphabet Playdough Mats
Looking for more playdough mats? Find all the play dough mats we have shared on site here.
Please Share These Printable Alphabet Play Dough Mats
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite kids’ activity board on Pinterest.